Football Sport

Zanaco unveil squad

ZANACO defender Fackson Kapumbu (left) and midfielder Boyd Musonda during training at Sunset Stadium in Lusaka yesterday. PICTURE: KASAMBA BUUMBA

DIANA CHIPEPO, Lusaka
ZAMBIA’S representatives in the 2017 CAF Champions League, Zanaco, yesterday submitted to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) a list of 25 players that include Ghanaian striker Attram Kwame.
Zanaco managed to beat yesterday’s deadline ahead of the 2017 continental club competition.
Kwame was a member of the side that won the Super Division title last year.
Skipper Ziyo Tembo is also on the list.
Tembo was crowned 2016 footballer-of-the-year.
Zanaco will start the campaign on February 11 when they host Rwanda Patriotic Army in the preliminary round first leg. The return leg will be played after a week.
Clubs are required to submit up to 30 players for Africa’s premier soccer competition.
Club secretary Jordan Maliti, who only released 20 out of the 25 players, said the Bankers have left room for the other five players.
“We are still finalising the list and we should be done before the end of the day [yesterday]. We will submit 25 players and leave room for the other five who we may add as the tournament progresses,” said Maliti in an interview in Lusaka yesterday.
Defender Taonga Bwembya from Mufulira Wanderers and former Lusaka Dynamos striker Kennedy Musonda are on the list.
Other players the Bankers are reported to have recruited include defenders Zimiseleni Moyo from Zimbabwe, Didi Kitimba and Ikamba Ngobila from Democratic Republic of Congo.
Nchanga Rangers defender Chongo Chirwa is also among the new arrivals at Sunset Stadium.
Defender Fackson Kapumbu, who is reported training with Zesco United, is also on the list.
Zanaco last competed in the CAF Champions League in 2013 and reached the first round losing 3-1 on aggregate to South African side Orlando Pirates.
Meanwhile, Super Division side Power Dynamos have signed Zanaco defender Mwelwa Sakala on a two-year contract, MATHEWS KABAMBA reports.
Sakala becomes the third new entrant at Arthur Davies Stadium.
Club chief executive officer Ricky Mamfunda said in an interview yesterday that the Kitwe side is delighted to capture Sakala.
“We have roped in Sakala  from Zanaco. We have communicated to the league champions and they have responded in the affirmative hence I can confirm that he [Sakala] is our player.
“We continue to strengthen our team, as we are looking forward to assemble the strongest possible team in line with our ambitions next season” Mamfunda said.
Power have signed on midfielder Godfrey Ngwenya from Kabwe Warriors and striker Lyson Sikaonga from Division One Zone Two side Roan United.
Meanwhile, Power midfielder Julius Situmbeko has turned down offers from Napsa Stars and Nkana.
Mamfunda said the club is not willing to let go of its star players especially to rivals.
Situmbeko was not a regular last season.
Power finished fourth with 61 points, 20 behind champions Zanaco.
The Zanaco squad:
Goalkeepers: Racha Kola, Mangani Banda, Toaster Nsabata
Defenders: Ziyo Tembo, Peter Banda, George Chilufya, Fackson Kapumbu, Lee Ngoma, Andrew Kwiliko, Taonga Bwembya
Midfielders: Saith Sakala, Charles Zulu, Ernest Mbewe, Richard Kasonde, Boyd Musonda, Augustine Mulenga
Strikers: Kennedy Musonda, Attram Kwame, Aubrey Funga and Fashion Sakala.




Facebook Feed

Ad1