Walter returns, misses penalty

NKANA striker Walter Bwalya (right) in a tussle with Napsa Stars defender Luka Banda during a Super Division Week 22 match at Nkana Stadium in Kitwe yesterday. Nkana won 1-0. PICTURE: MATHEWS KABAMBA

MATHEWS KABAMBA, Nkana Stadium, Kitwe
FORWARD Walter Bwalya yesterday returned to the Nkana line-up and missed a penalty but the Kitwe giants went on to edge Napsa Stars in a Super

Division Week 22 match that saw the Pensioners slip to fourth position.
Bwalya, who was embroiled in a nationality probe, missed a penalty on 86 minutes.
He was hacked by defender Alex Mwamba outside the box and referee Wisdom Chewe pointed to the spot.
Bwalya, who was out of action for two months, stepped forward but Mucheleng’anga was equal to the task saving the penalty.
Bwalya declined to grant journalists an interview after the match.
The hero was Ronald Kampamba, who pounced on a defensive lapse and beat Mucheleng’anga with a low drive in the 53rd minute for Nkana to complete a double over Napsa.
Napsa striker Simon Nkhata’s cracker was saved by goalkeeper Moses Mapulanga on 19 minutes.
Mucheleng’anga produced a fine save denying Bwalya from close range in the 37th minute.
“It was a good win, Napsa were very strong. It is sad we missed a penalty but it is good we have three points,” Nkana coach Beston Chambeshi said.
Napsa coach Tenant Chilumba said: “There is too much pressure, I think the boys are failing to contain pressure. It was a disappointing result.”
Nkana have 35 points, two behind Napsa, Green Buffaloes and Power Dynamos.
Leaders Zesco United, who face Nchanga Rangers today, have 38 points.
Power failed to take advantage of Napsa’s loss when they drew with Nkwazi at Edwin Imboela Stadium in Lusaka, SYLVESTER CHISHIMBA reports.
Striker Alex Ng’onga put Power in the lead with a thunderbolt past goalkeeper Makasa Kalaba in the eighth minute.
Nkwazi equalised through Lameck Banda, who tapped in Steward Chikandiwa’s free-kick in the 23rd minute.
Red Arrows pushed tail-enders Real Nakonde near the exit door.
Arrows were on target through Patrick Ngoma in the third minute, George Simbayambaya (7th) and Bruce Musakanya on 63 minutes at Nkoloma Stadium in Lusaka.
Green Buffaloes left it late to deny Nakambala Leopards victory, ALEX NJOVU from Mazabuka reports.
Midfielder Friday Samu rose high to nod in Sebastian Mwansa’s cross on 90 minutes to cancel out Roy Sakwanda’s strike in the first-half.
Buffaloes goalkeeper Fred Silwamba parried Lameck Silwaba’s strike in Sakwanda’s way and the former City of Lusaka player placed the ball in the net.
Zanaco registered the third draw on the trot when they shared points with Mufulira Wanderers at Shinde Stadium, MULWANDA LUPIYA reports.
The Bankers drew 1-1 with Green Eagles and goalless with Lumwana Radiants.
Wanderers midfielder Joseph Kanema nodded in Joseph Chewe’s cross in the 20th minute.
The reigning champions levelled with striker Felix Nyaende’s weak shot beating goalkeeper Chrispin Chisowa.
Green Eagles outplayed Lumwana Radiants but ended up sharing spoils at Independence Stadium in Choma, BENEDICT TEMBO reports.
With Zambia National Service deputy commandant Alick Kamiji in attendance, Eagles made two strategic changes in the second-half by bringing in Tapson Kaseba and Paul Malama but without success.
In today’s matches, Nchanga Rangers face Zesco in an early kick-off at Konkola Stadium in Chililabombwe while Konkola Blades take on City of Lusaka at the same venue later.
In a double header at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola, Forest Rangers welcome Kabwe Warriors in the first match and Buildcon engage Lusaka Dynamos later.

Facebook Feed