Football Sport

Munyao saves Zambia

ZAMBIA striker Festus Mbewe controls the ball as Namibia’s Tiberius Lombard (right) gives chase during the 2016 Rwanda African Nations Championship first round return leg at Nkoloma Stadium in Lusaka yesterday. PICTURE: COLLINS PHIRI

DIANA MUTAKAFIMBO, Nkoloma Stadium, Lusaka
ZAMBIA 2 (6) NAMIBIA 1 (5)
GOALKEEPER Daniel Munyao yesterday saved a penalty as Zambia overcame Namibia to cruise to the last round of the 2016 Rwanda African Nations Championship (CHAN).
Munyao rose to the challenge in this CHAN first round return leg played in front of a capacity crowd to save a Denzil Hoaseb shot after another Namibian Heinrich Isaacs’ cracker hit the cross-bar for Zambia to win 6-5 on penalty shoot-outs.
The match ended 3-3 on aggregate in regulation time. Namibia beat Zambia 2-1 in Windhoek on June 21.
Zambia converted through Kondwani Mtonga, Buchizya Mfune, Moses Phiri, Christopher Munthali, Benedict Chepeshi, Winston Kalengo while Joseph Zimba missed.
Namibia hit the net through Denis Tjejinda, Joslin Kamatuka, Keimune Hamunua, Ananias Gerbhardt and Absalom Limbondi.
Zambia will face Mozambique in the last round.
Zambia started on a promising note with Mfune shooting over the cross-bar from a Jackson Mwanza free-kick in the seventh minute.
The hosts pushed forward with Green Buffaloes midfielder Jackson Chirwa being outstanding in attack.
Zambia took the lead in the 30th minute when towering Festus Mbewe headed in a Benedict Chepeshi cross from the left wing.
Zambia coach George Lwandamina introduced Moses Phiri for Saith Sakala in the 42nd minute in a quest to get more goals.
Namibia equalised on the nick of half-time when Benjamin Nenkavu’s long-range shot beat goalkeeper Daniel Munyao, who helplessly watched the ball hit the net.
Munyao was rooted to his line. Nenkavu was also on target in the first leg in Windhoek.
Namibia upped the tempo after the break pushing Zambia into retreat.
Munyao was called to duty on 57 minutes when he saved Keimuine Hamonua, low shot.
Two minutes later, Lwandamina withdrew Mwanza for Charles Zulu but it was Namibia who looked dangerous going forward.
Kalengo shot wide on 64 minutes and eight minutes later, the Zesco United striker was on target.
Kalengo pounced on a rebound after goalkeeper Charles Uirab, who was later substituted for Loydt Kazapua, parried Mbewe’s shot.
Kalengo scored the vital away goal in Windhoek.
Mbewe was rested for Patson Daka in the 81st minute.
Kalengo shot over the bar in the 88th minute for the match to be decided on penalties.
“Credit goes to the players for putting up a spirited fight. It was not an easy game and we knew Namibia would be difficult opponents, especially that they came with a 2-1 lead,” said Lwandamina, who got his first win after replacing Honour Janza on June 8.
Namibia coach Ronnie Kananelo said: “We expected it.
We had our chances but missed them. Otherwise we put up a good performance.”

Facebook Feed