Health personnel urged to work with MPs

SOUTHERN Province Minister Edify Hamukale says health personnel manning rural health centres should work with members of Parliament (MPs) to develop the institutions.

Dr Hamukale said government officers in rural areas should take advantage of MPs and seek their help with issues regarding development of health facilities.

He said this when officials at Keemba rural health centre in Monze informed him that the institution does not have a proper maternity annex, and that they also use their personal money to fund construction of a staff house.
“You need to utilise your area MPs and councillors and get help from them in all areas of development. These people are there to serve the interest of the people and can help in accessing funds for any developmental project,” he said.
Dr Hamukale said rural health centres should ensure they apply to benefit from the Constituency Development Fund (CDF), as the money is meant for development projects.
He urged the officers to also get help from local authorities.
“You can also try to get help from councils because these local authorities receive monthly equalisation fund meant for development of capital projects,” Dr Hamukale said.
He said government officials especially those in rural areas, should be proactive and use their initiative.
Dr Hamukale said civil servants in rural areas should not wait for senior government officers to visit their workplaces to bring out concerns.
He urged officers at Keemba rural health centre to put their concerns in the 2018 budget proposals so that they can be addressed.
And Southern Province health director Jerita Chinyonga said Keemba rural health centre is a zonal place and needs more infrastructure to cater for the demand of the people in the area.


Facebook Feed