You are currently viewing Zanaco beat Power, go top

Zanaco beat Power, go top

CECILIA ZULU, Sunset Stadium, Lusaka
ZANACO yesterday dislodged Power Dynamos from the top of the MTN Super Division log after beating the Kitwe side in a rescheduled Week One match in Lusaka.
The win pushed Zanaco to 11 points, two better than Power, Konkola Blades and Green Eagles.
And police fired tear gas to disperse the fans who wanted to force their way into the stadium.
With the match underway and with Zanaco staff selling tickets at a snail’s pace, fans lost their patience and forced the gate open but police fired tear gas to disperse the crowd.
The fans scampered to wash their faces and within a few minutes they assembled and forced their way into the stadium as police officers watched helplessly.
On the pitch, Salulani Phiri was the hero when he blasted the ball into the net in the 45th minute.
Power goalkeeper Joel Kanyemba spilled a Potipher Zulu thunderbolt and Phiri was on hand to score.
Phiri got the solitary goal last November when Zanaco beat Power 1-0 in a league match in Lusaka.
Zanaco could have taken the lead in the 20th minute but international defender Christopher Munthali cleared Henry Banda’s shot on the line with Kanyemba beaten.
Power’s best opportunity to get the equaliser was on 29 minutes when Ignatius Lwipa shot over the bar with only goalkeeper Racha Kola to beat.
Both teams created opportunities in the second half but Zanaco held on.
Green Buffaloes held reigning champions Zesco United in an exciting match at Woodlands Stadium in Lusaka, VICTOR KUMWENDA reports.
It was Zesco’s second draw in four days after battling to a stalemate with Nkana last Sunday.
Buffaloes’ striker Diamond Chikwewe saw his shot hit the crossbar in the 17th minute after a cross from Kangwa Chileshe, a former Zesco midfielder, while Zesco midfielder Cletus Chama’s header from a Winstone Kalengo cross hit the upright on the hour mark.
Zesco have eight points while Buffaloes have four.