WORKER'S COMPENSATION CORNER with MAYBIN NKHOLOMBA
1. What is WCFCB?
Workers’ Compensation Fund Control Board (WCFCB) is a Social Security Institution mandated by Act 10 of 1999 of the Laws of Zambia, to compensate workers who get injured or contract diseases or die in the course of duty.
In case of death of a worker because of the injury or diseases contracted in the course of duty, compensation is paid out to the surviving spouse and children.
2. Who is eligible to register with WCFCB?
All employers carrying out business activities in Zambia with the exception of the Civil Service, Defence Forces and the Police Service.
3. Is WCFCB registration mandatory?
WCFCB registration is mandatory for all categories of employers other than the ones mentioned above.
4. Am I as an employer covered under WCFCB?
Employers are covered by WCFCB, provided your earnings are included when submitting the declaration of earnings for the rest of the workers.
5. How do I become a member of WCFCB?
By registering your establishment with WCFCB within 14 days of commencing business, this should be followed by the submission of estimates of earnings in respect of your workers.
6. Where do I register for WCFCB?
WCFCB has a network of 20 Branches dotted around the country where information on registration and other clarifications on operations of the Fund can be obtained.
7. When does the Year start and end for WCFCB?
The year runs from 1st April of a current year to 31st March of the following year. For example, the Financial Year 2015 runs from 1st April 2015 to 31st March 2016.
All employers are required to submit their annual assessments by 1st April of every year.
8. What should an Employer do if the annual assessments have not been submitted?
To avoid penalties and prosecution for failure to comply with Act 10 of 1999, the employer should visit the nearest WCFCB Branch and get assistance.
Our staff are available to provide all the guidance needed to help an employer submit correct returns.
Alternatively email email@example.com or phone +260212622084
9. What are the advantages of joining WCFCB?
• The employer gets to avoid law suits bound to be taken by injured workers, provided negligence on the part of the employer is not the cause of the accident.
• In case of Suppliers and Contractors, registration with WCFCB will
make it easy for them to conduct business with other organisations such as the Road Development Agency (RDA), National Council for Construction (NCC), all Mining Companies and Public Procurement Entities.
• The worker gets to be compensated for the disability suffered following the accident.
• Registration with WCFCB will also promote your business growth by contributing to productivity of workers and reduced business costs incurred due to workers injuries and sicknesses.
• The members can also benefit from rehabilitation programmes were workers are trained with the view of integrating them to work through our Return to good health and Return to Work programme.
The author is head for communications and customer services at Workers Compensation Fund Control Board. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org