ALVIN CHIINGA, Lusaka
THE Ministry of Health (MOH) says typhoid that broke out in Muchinga and Lusaka provinces early this year is now under control.
MOH spokesperson Kennedy Malama said currently, there is no patient under treatment, and there has been no death reported so far.
“There are a total of 142 cases reported in Kalingalinga so far, and no death has been recorded since the outbreak was declared on 12th April,” he said in an interview.
Dr Malama, however, said despite the current outbreak being under control, the threat remains, hence the need for people to maintain high standards of hygiene.
He said there is a possibility that the outbreak can resurface if people do not adhere to preventive measures.
Dr Malama said in Mpika, there are no new cases reported in the last two weeks as the situation still remains the way it was as per the last update.
He said people should ensure they observe and practise high levels of hygiene, drink and use clean and safe water, and also ensure there is adequate sanitation.
Dr Malama also said eight deaths have been recorded since the outbreak of Ebola was reported in the neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo on May 11 2017.