By CHOOLWE KASAMU
THE Rural Electrification Authority has planned to award journalists practicing in Zambia who will demonstrate brilliance and inspire creative media ideas. In an environment of diversity of media, the awards will recognise and reward where a journalist makes real difference in his/her reporting/ writing.
Over the last 11 years or since the Authority was established in 2003, it has implemented a lot of grid extension and solar energy projects. The authority has so far implemented 126 grid extension projects across the country at a cost of about K539 million.
All these projects have undoubtedly touched many lives in rural areas. It is the life changing stories in various rural communities that the Authority is hoping the media will bring out and share with the general public.
On August 15, 2014, Deputy Minister of Mines Energy and Water Development, Charles Zulu launched the REA Media Awards Programme. The programme will close on 30th May, 2015.
From the entries, judges will be looking for how competently the journalist will reveal the human interest factor in the story. They will also look for skilful reporting of achievements that will reflect the impact of rural electricity infrastructure on the lives of the people where electricity has been provided.
Entries must have proof of being broadcast or published. Journalists from the electronic media are encouraged to submit broadcast packages with casterâ€™s/anchorâ€™s intro. For the print media, REA will rely on the newspaper cuttings. Entry forms to accompany all entries will be forwarded to all newsrooms by the end of this week.
The Authority will reward journalists through the following categories;
1. Best Media Institution (Coverage) -This award will be given to a media institution with more meaningful and related information on rural electrification activities in Zambia.
2. Best Print Media Journalist – Rural Electrification Award: This will be given to the best Journalist in print media for excellence in coverage of rural electrification matters.
3. Best Electronic Media Journalist – Rural Electrification Award: This will be given to the best Journalist in electronic media for excellence in coverage of rural electrification matters.
4. Best Photography Award- This Award will be given to a photo journalist who gets media space with a picture which is most relevant to the story while caring a human face in rural electrification activities.
5. Best Community Media Reporting-This award will be given to the best journalist from the community radio stations/community publications.
6. Best Overall Award (CEOâ€™s Award) -This award will be given to the best journalist in all categories.
The Authority wishes the best to all media practitioners who will participate in the competition. The Authority reserves the right to pick exemplary stories that have value and substance even if the author may have not entered the competition.
By CHOOLWE KASAMU