Power, Dynamos grudge match ends in draw

RED Arrows striker Francis Kombe (left) battles with Zanaco defender Ziyo Tembo during a Super Division Week 20 match at Nkoloma Stadium in Lusaka yesterday. The match ended goalless. PICTURE: CHANDA MWENYA

MATHEWS KABAMBA, Arthur Davies Stadium, Kitwe
LUSAKA Dynamos midfielder Fwayo Tembo yesterday came from the bench to deny Power Dynamos victory in a thrilling Super Division

Week 20 match that gives Napsa Stars an opportunity to open up a six-point lead today.
Napsa, who have 36 points, face Nchanga Rangers in Chingola today. Second-placed Power have 33 points at par with Green Buffaloes.
Having left Power three weeks ago, Fwayo replaced Conlyde Luchanga in the 55th minute.
Three minutes from time, Fwayo, who was booed by Power fans each time he touched the ball, unleashed a cracker that hit the post and striker Chris Mugalu tapped in the rebound in this grudge match watched by a capacity crowd.
Midfielder Benson Sakala gave the hosts the lead on 65 minutes.
Larry Bwalya’s free-kick was blocked and Sakala headed past goalkeeper Mohammed Muntari.
In April this year, Power protested that Dynamos had used an ineligible player, Trezor Kanyinda, in a Week One match that ended 3-3 in Lusaka.
The Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) disciplinary committee on May 16 this year awarded Power three points.
But Dynamos appealed against the ruling causing FAZ to reverse the decision until the appeals committee determined the case.
The appeals committee will hear the case this week.
“It was a good performance against a strong Power side. We controlled the game despite the result. I am impressed with my players,” Dynamos manager Patrick Phiri said.
Green Buffaloes came from behind to hold Mufulira Wanderers at Shinde Stadium.
Defender Emmanuel Musekwa’s own goal on 43 minutes gave Wanderers the lead.
Stephen Kabamba saved Buffaloes from defeat with a 90th minute equaliser.
Wanderers have 15 points.
Red Arrows goalkeeper Kenny Mumba and his Zanaco counterpart Toaster Nsabata put up stunning performances as the Lusaka sides battled to a draw at Nkoloma Stadium, ALEX NJOVU reports.
Mumba parried for a corner Felix Nyaende’s close-range shot on eight minutes. Nyaende benefited from Attram Kwame’s pass.
Zanaco skipper Ziyo Tembo accidentally cleared a goal-bound George Chilufya header in the 20th minute.
Midfielder Augustine Mulenga delivered a corner that Chilufya connected with his head but the ball hit Tembo for Arrows to survive.
Arrows had to wait until the 28th minute to threaten Zanaco and Nsabata saved Lubinda Mundia’s shot.
In the second half, the two goalkeepers were equal to the task.
Zanaco have 27 points, two better than Arrows.
Nakambala Leopards stunned Nkana in Mazabuka courtesy of a Roy Sakwanda strike in the 63rd minute, ROBINSON KUNDA reports.
Forest Rangers bounced back to winning ways overcoming Lumwana Radiants at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola, MULWANDA LUPIYA reports.
Smarting from Wednesday’s 1-0 defeat to Zanaco, Forest midfielder Kobe Chipeta was the saviour.
Chipeta pounced on a defensive lapse, rounded up goalkeeper Charles Mweemba and placed the ball into the empty net in the 46th minute.
Lumwana remain on 30 points, two better than Forest.
In the other match at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium, Kenyan striker John Makwata netted a brace as Buildcon beat First Division bound Real Nakonde.
Makwata tapped in a Clifton Miheso cross on 45 minutes and doubled the lead from a penalty after he was hacked by defender Victor Nyantenga in the 56th minute.
Buildcon have 26 points while tail-enders Real have nine.
Green Eagles brought back smiles on Choma residents with a fine display on a chilly day, BENEDICT TEMBO reports.
Coming from two back to back losses to Zesco United in Ndola and to Green Buffaloes in midweek, Eagles were resolute yesterday and should have come out with a cricket score had they converted the myriad opportunities they created.
Greenwell Witika headed a Mwila Phiri cross in the 34th minute and in-form Vernacious Mapande tapped in a Collins Mulenga cross to hand City the 12th loss of the season.
Eagles now have 24 points while City remain on 11.
Kabwe Warriors coach Elijah Chikwanda was denied the first victory when defender Clement Mwape scored an own goal against Nkwazi at Edwin Imboela Stadium in Lusaka, SYLVESTER CHISHIMBA reports.
Chikwanda replaced Kampamba Chintu on July 4 and with Warriors leading 1-0, Mwape blasted in his net in the 71st minute in an attempt to clear the danger.
Warriors took the lead through Jack Phiri’s thunderbolt in the 53rd minute.
Nkwazi have 27 points while Warriors have 16.

Facebook Feed