Boxing Sport

Esther fight postponed again

By DIANA MUTAKAFIMBO
ESTHER Phiri’s much anticipated light welterweight non-title fight against Jennifer Faccio of Uruguay has been postponed.
This is the second time the fight scheduled for this Saturday at Lusaka’s Mulungushi International Conference Centre has been postponed pending finalisation of a broadcasting contract.
Exodus Boxing Promotions director Anthony Mwamba said in a statement issued in Lusaka yesterday that a new date will be announced soon.
Mwamba said negotiations between Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation (ZNBC) and his stables have not been concluded.
“The details of the broadcast contract with ZNBC have been the subject of discussion for several weeks and a gap has to be found in the broadcast schedule that meets the needs of all the parties concerned that’s the broadcaster, sponsors and Exodus Boxing Promotions.
“This should be decided after our meetings this week. We assure all Esther’s supporters that once these details are finalised, the new date will be announced,” he said.
Esther’s come back fight was initially scheduled for August 9 but it was postponed due to financial and logistical constraints.
The International Boxing Organisation (IBO) and World International Boxing Association (WIBA) light welterweight champion last fought against Monalisa Sibanda of Zimbabwe on February 7 last year in Lusaka.
Esther knocked out Sibanda in the seventh round to retain the IBO/WIBA light welterweight title.

Facebook Feed

ePaper App

Follow Us on Twitter