Court News

Court revokes bail for theft

By MWILA NTAMBI
THE Kitwe Magistrate’s Court has revoked bail granted to a 45-year-old man charged with 13 counts of theft by agent for absconding from court since March this year.
Kitwe resident magistrate Maxwell Mainsa last Friday revoked Ellad Banda’s bail after police executed a bench warrant and arrested him for failure to appear before court.
This is in a case in which Banda is jointly charged with Weston Mutengo, a civil servant charged with theft by public servant.
Banda has not availed himself before court ever since he was granted a K5, 000 cash bail earlier this year.
When the matter came up for return of bench warrant in respect of Banda and continuation of trial, Kitwe second district prosecutions officer Friday Siame informed the court that police managed to apprehend Banda.
“Your honour, the accused person was apprehended in Lusaka,” Mr Siame said.
Asked why he had not been going to court, Banda said his sureties had been giving him conflicting dates and he ended up losing track.
He said he had been trying to reconcile the dates since March when he last appeared in court.
Mr Mainsa then told Banda that since he was having difficulties in keeping track of the dates, the court would help him.
“I shall help you reconcile the dates. You will be in custody until your case is disposed of. You thought you were clever but you have been traced,” Mr Mainsa said.
And Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (DMMU) Copperbelt regional coordinator Edwin Muyunda told the court that Banda’s company was engaged to transport relief maize from Food Reserve Agency (FRA) sheds in Chambishi to Masaiti.
Mr Muyunda said Banda’s company was contracted to transport 10,000 by 50 kilogrammes bags of maize and that the first consignment was 6,000 bags while the second was 4,000 bags.
He said sometime in September 2012, Banda went to his office under the pretext that he had finished the task of delivering the first batch of 6,000 bags of maize and demanded payment.
Mr Muyunda said Mutengo, the second accused person in the matter,  later alerted him that Banda had in fact not finished delivering the first batch of maize and that there was a shortfall of  1,124 bags out of the 6,000 that were supposed to be delivered.
He said he was shocked to learn through his interactions with FRA that Banda’s company had taken all the bags of maize including the 4,000 balance which was supposed to be the second batch without delivering it to the intended beneficiaries.
The matter comes up on September 11 for continuation of trial.

Facebook Feed

ePaper App

Follow Us on Twitter