Football Sport

Buffaloes denied top slot

KABWE Warriors midfielder Paul Simpemba (left) battles with Green Buffaloes’ Mabvuto Daka during a Super Division Week 12 match at Edwin Imboela Stadium in Lusaka yesterday. PICTURE: ANGELA NTENTABUNGA

ALEX NJOVU, Edwin Imboela Stadium, Lusaka
GREEN Buffaloes yesterday missed an opportunity to go top on the Super Division log after they battled to a draw with Kabwe Warriors in a scintillating Week 12 encounter.
With leaders Power Dynamos on 20 points at par with Lusaka Dynamos, victory could have pushed Buffaloes to 21 points.

Fifth-placed Buffaloes have 19 points at par with Zanaco, Zesco United, Napsa Stars and Forest Rangers.
“We allowed silly goals. The players were fatigued after we played Zanaco on Thursday,” said Buffaloes coach Bilton Musonda in reference to the 2-1 defeat to Zanaco.
Warriors, who thumped Nchanga Rangers 3-0 last Wednesday, started with a bang and striker Jacob Phiri silenced Buffaloes in the eighth minute.
Phiri pounced on a back pass by defender Sydney Lombe and beat goalkeeper Davy Kaumbwa with a low shot.
Phiri got his brace on the hour mark connecting Nicholas Mulilo’s cross.
Buffaloes’ comeback started in the 61st minute.
Midfielder Mike Katiba stabbed home from a goal-mouth melee.
Katiba nodded in Diamond Chikwekwe’s corner in the 74th minute for Buffaloes’ equaliser.
The soldiers pushed for the winner but were not accurate at goal.
Warriors goalkeeper Lawrence Mulenga parried for a corner Chikwekwe’s shot in the 28th minute.
Buffaloes striker Brian Mwila headed wide Chikwekwe’s cross on 44 minutes.
Lusaka referee Leonard Akapelwa ruled offside Mulilo’s goal in the 45th minute.
In a quest to add firepower in attack, Buffaloes coach Musonda introduced striker Lottie Phiri for midfielder Jack Chirwa while his counterpart Kampamba Chintu threw in William Njobvu for Mulilo.
“We could have won the game but we allowed them back into the game after we made mistakes,” Kampamba said.
A second-half brace by forward Justin Shonga saw Nkwazi hand Nchanga Rangers the sixth defeat of the season, MATHEWS KABAMBA reports.
Shonga broke the deadlock in the 67th minute at Konkola Stadium in Chililabombwe.
The Zambia striker beat a defender and from a tight angle he placed the ball past goalkeeper Lenon Muma.
Shonga put the match beyond reach when he headed in Kennedy Lungu’s throw-in on 80 minutes.
Rangers defender Isaac Shamujompa blasted his free kick wide on 36 minutes.
Nkwazi have 17 points, five better than Rangers.
In the second match at Konkola Stadium, Forest Rangers overcame Konkola Blades to sneak into seventh position.
Blades goalkeeper Kelvin Pemba parried Kobe Chipeta’s scorcher in his way and the midfielder coolly put the ball into the net on 11 minutes.
Green Mumba doubled the lead in the 66th minute finishing a rebound after Pemba had parried Chipeta’s thunderbolt.
Blades got a consolation through John Sikaumbwe’s penalty at the death.
Forest defender Mundia Mokakwe hacked Anthony Kaimana and referee Frederick Chimense pointed to the spot.
City of Lusaka threw away a two-goal lead and allowed Real Nakonde to salvage a point at Woodlands Stadium, SYLVESTER CHISHIMBA reports.
City took the lead on 29 minutes.
Skipper Roy Sakwanda pounced on a counter-attack and placed a through ball to Morgan Kaoma, who was equal to the task.
Clement Mundia doubled the advantage with a thunderbolt from outside the box in the 42nd minute.
City were awarded a penalty after Chiteta Kwalombota hacked Saddam Phiri in the 53rd minute.
Real goalkeeper Moses Mbapolo saved Phiri’s kick.
The visitors pulled one back through substitute Kabeya Mulume on the hour mark.
Real restored parity when Jackson Silwimba connected a cross from Mulume in the 86th minute in a match watched by Football Association of Zambia president Andrew Kamanga.
City have nine points, one better than bottom-placed Real.