News

$832m Chambishi project starts

HONE SIAME, Kitwe
NON-FERROUS Mining Corporation Africa (NFCA) Chambishi mine has started constructing the US$832 million south-east ore body project in Kalulushi, which is expected to create 5,000 jobs for local people.
NFCA corporate affairs manager Nelson Jilowa said in Kalulushi yesterday that the project, which is expected to increase NFCA’s copper production capacity from 30,000 tonnes to 100,000 tonnes annually, will be commissioned in 2017.
Mr Jilowa said the project is expected to be completed by the end of next year but will only become operational in 2017.
“We expect to put that project into full production by 2017 and we will create 5,000 jobs for the locals. We are currently doing shaft sinking and tunnels,” Mr Jilowa said.
NFCA currently has 3,000 Zambian employees.
Mr Jilowa also said NFCA’s accumulative investment will exceed US$1.1 billion once all the projects are completed.
Mr Jilowa said the main ore body and west ore Body are currently in full production and that the total annual copper production capacity currently stands at 30,000 tonnes.
NFCA is a large-scale mining company operating in Kalulushi.
China Non-Ferrous Metal Mining Corporation Limited (CNMC) is the major shareholder in NFCA with 85 percent shares while the Zambia Consolidated Copper Mine – Investment Holdings holds the remaining 15 percent.

Send Your Letters


Facebook Feed

Ad1